Sunday, February 28, 2010

What a month!

I haven't posted in quite a long time I see. February was an interesting month. The beginning started off great with the big move to the new place. We were sleeping on an air mattress on the floor but we didn't care; we were finally home. Casey's (the hubby) mom can up from South Carolina to help us with the many, many tasks involved with whipping this house into shape. She's a master at all things related to the house. Painting and decorating are her specialities. She's also a huge help when it comes to organizing and cleaning. She works so hard and she has been an amazing help to us. I am very fortunate to have such an understanding and reliable mother-in-law. Not to mention she spoils us terribly with new things for the house. You should see our bedroom, I feel like I could spend most of my day in there. Well, I have been lately.

Patty (the mom-in-law) has been with us now for 3 weeks. In that time we've gotten a lot accomplished. Let's see, all except two little rooms (laundry and 1/2 bath) have been painted, a chair recovered, furniture moved, boxes unpacked, bathrooms scrubbed, lighting wired, etc, etc, etc. I must admit I'm getting kinda overloaded with "house". I was very into getting everything in ship shape, as I am a true perfectionist and like everything to be just so. I feel chaotic when things are everywhere and projects are unfinished. Life is funny, though, just as I start to feel the pressure of all of the things yet to be done--and believe me with my Type A mindframe I was feeling the pressure--I got sick.

So, I wasn't sick sick. I had gone in for my bronchoscopy--the procedure I must endure to see if my transplanted lungs are rejecting--and it was not routine. First of all, I hadn't had one (thankfully) in nearly 8 years. I have a terrible issue with bleeding. It's something my doctor and I both knew going in but decided to proceed anyway, just to be sure things were okay. Well, everything started out fine. Sedation, check, throat numbing spray, check, pediatric scope to go down that little throat, check. I wasn't fully sedated so I could hear the doc. The bleeding had started. Ugh! Skip to an hour later. Doc says "No more bronchs for you unless there's an extreme problem." I agree. So, all is fine immediately afterwards. Later that night, though, I had a really high fever and I don't get high fevers. Turns out the procedure caused an infection--ugh--and for the next 2 days I felt absolutely awful. I took a week off from working and rested.

Well that rest and the resting I continue to do was a sign. It made me realize that I don't really have to sweat the small stuff. While a house and all of the duties that go along with owning a house are important, they are certainly small potatoes in comparison to my health. I have to remember Rome wasn't built in a day. This house won't be 'finished' in a week, or a month, or probably 6 months. So what! As long as I'm here to see it transform that's all that matters. I know I can't change my Type A mentality but I also know that life is fleeting and I need to just 'be' for now. Ahh, as I sit here on the bed with my little kitty, Mia (who has mastered the art of justing "being") I feel relaxed. I know there are a thousand things I 'need' to do, but there always is. That won't change.

I am happy in my lovely home, after all I have a home. I am happy that I am on the mend from being sick. I am happy to have such a wonderful husband and mother-in-law who have forged on as I sit back and watch it all. I am happy right in this moment. We'll see what tomorrow brings when the 1st day of March arrives. Thanks, February 2010, for bringing me a life lesson.

1 comment:

  1. ...or, you could ask me to come help. Just an idea. :-P

    ReplyDelete